Details for the next KHL season has been announced. Read more»
English Premier Ice Hockey League
- League status: Active
- Administered by: English Ice Hockey Association
- Head manager: Ken Taggart
- Year of start: 1997
- WWW: http://www.eiha.co.uk/SeniorLeagues/EnglishPremier/tabid/113/Default.aspx, http://www.eplicehockey.net/, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/malcolm.preen/English_Premier_League.html
Did you find any incorrect or incomplete information? Please, let us know.
|28 Jun 2011 |||Sergejs Louskins (D)||Lindlövens IF||Bracknell Bees|
|28 Jun 2011 |||Greg Chambers (F)||Coventry Blaze||Guildford Flames|
|14 Jun 2011 |||Chris Douglas (G)||Swindon Lynx||Oxford City Stars|
|14 Jun 2011 |||Shane Moore (D)||Bracknell Bees||Swindon Lynx|
|1.||Tony Hand||F||Manchester Phoenix||54||25||108||133||65|
|2.||Marcus Kristoffersson||C||Manchester Phoenix||54||62||50||112||72|
|3.||Curtis Huppe||RW||Manchester Phoenix||54||59||51||110||56|
|4.||Michal Pinc||D/F||Bracknell Bees||54||38||62||100||142|
|5.||Nathan Rempel||RW||Guildford Flames||54||59||32||91||32|
|6.||Jeff Glowa||C||Peterborough Phantoms||52||36||54||90||65|
|7.||Maris Ziedins||F||Peterborough Phantoms||54||47||39||86||12|
|8.||Darius Pliskauskas||C||Slough Jets||54||52||33||85||36|
|9.||Viktor Kubenko||D/F||Basingstoke Bison||53||48||36||84||44|
|10.||Lukas Smital||RW||Guildford Flames||45||32||51||83||44|
The league operates on a 54 game schedule. Each team plays the others in a 3 home, 3 away series. A number of these games also double up as the initial fixtures in the EPIHL Cup tournament. Each team will play 2 games per week during the season, with the exception of a break over the Christmas period. The majority of the games are played on Saturdays and Sundays, reflecting the semi-pro status of many of the leagues players.
The Season culminates with the play-offs. 8 teams qualify, and engage in a 2 leg home and away series to decide which 4 teams will attend the Play Off Finals weekend, held in the SkyDome Arena Coventry, a neutral venue.
The league operates under a number of restrictions, allowing it to classify itself as a 'developmental league'.
The main restriction placed on the member clubs is a limit of 4 non EIHA trained, EU passport holding 'import' players dressed per game. Further to this, only 3 of these players may be on the ice simultaneously, with certain exceptions.
Despite the 4 imports dressed rule, it is not uncommon for some teams to sign a 5th import as 'backup' in case of injuries to an 'active' import.
The league has no wage limitations, although it is generally accepted that due to the import restriction, wage bills are lower than teams in the EIHL. Despite the lower wages paid, the league still suffers from teams folding, or quitting the league due to financial problems.
- 2011-2012: Guildford Flames
- 2010-2011: Trafford Metros
- 2009-2010: Milton Keynes Lightning
- 2008-2009: Peterborough Phantoms
- 2007-2008: Guildford Flames
- 2006-2007: Bracknell Bees
- 2005-2006: Guildford Flames
- 2004-2005: Milton Keynes Lightning
- 2003-2004: Milton Keynes Lightning
- 2002-2003: Peterborough Phantoms
- 2001-2002: Invicta Dynamos
- 2000-2001: Swindon Phoenix
- 1999-2000: Chelmsford Chieftains
- 1998-1999: Solihull Blaze
- 1997-1998: Solihull Blaze
The English Premier Ice Hockey League commonly abbreviated to EPIHL, or simpy EPL, is a senior ice hockey league in England, and is run and administered by the English Ice Hockey Association. The league currently consists of 10 teams predominantly based in Southern England, and is generally considered to be the second tier league below the Elite Ice Hockey League although there is no promotion or relegation between the two.
The league was founded in 1997, where it initially served as the effective 3rd tier of the game, offering a level of play above the import free English leagues, but below the 8 import British National League. Since the 2005-06 season it has functioned as the second tier, as previously the now disbanded British National League filled this position; and, in fact, many previous BNL teams now play in the EPIHL.
The league is administered and sanctioned by the EIHA. The team owners meet regularly to discuss league matters under the auspices of the league chairman, and take a democratic vote on all decision
- Slough Jets Assistant Coach arrested for conspiring to sell Class A Drugs (08 Mar 2013)
- Steve Moria announces retirement (17 May 2012)
Andre Payette to lead Great Britain U20
Andre Payette has been appointed as the Great Britain Under-20s coach and will lead the youngsters at the 2013 World Championship next December.
The 36-year-old has been in charge of English Premier League side Sheffield Steeldogs since mid-way through the 2010-11 season.
Payette said: "I am very excited and honoured to be named head coach for the Great Britain Under-20s national team. Great Britain has been my adoptive country for the last nine years and I am thrilled to be able to give something back to British ice hockey, which has given me so much.
Slough Jets win English Premier League
Slough Jets won their third EPL Playoff title in five years with a comprehensive 4-1 victory over Manchester Phoenix. A double from Darius Pliskauskas and four assists from Dan Davies handed them a deserved crown.(16 Apr 2012)
- Youngest player: Jordan Smith (16 years)
- Oldest player: Steve Moria (50 years)
- Shortest player: Damien King (162 cm)
- Tallest player: Chris Wiggins (198 cm)
- Nationalities: Canada (11), Czech Republic (8), Estonia (1), Finland (1), Great Britain (196), Latvia (6), Lithuania (4), Slovenia (1), Switzerland (1), Slovakia (11), Sweden (3), Ukraine (2)